Saturday, June 25, 2011

The New Kindle is a Tablet?

Rumor has it that Amazon's next device will be a 10" tablet. It will supposedly be released sometime in the next couple months and will be a direct competitor to the Apple ipad. I've seen a couple websites calling it the Kindle tablet. The LCD screen will employ a type of display technology called "fringe field shifting" which is supposed to render a better picture and help to control light leakage. Amazon expects to sell between 400,00 to 800,00 units per month after release.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed they aren't talking about a new Kindle e-ink ereader. I already have an Ipad. What I would like is a touch-enabled  Kindle ereader with a slightly larger E-ink screen.  I recently purchased the Nook Easy Touch ereader (because I am a gadget junky) and it is one sweet device. Unfortunately, it is also tied to Barnes & Noble's hideous web storefront. I much prefer Amazon for browsing and purchasing ebook content, so if they'll just release a touch-enabled Kindle 4 ereader with a 7" screen, I'll be one happy ebook ejunky.

Bezos, the keyboard on the Kindle has to go!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully they will keep supporting the e-ink versions on the side. I have no interest in a tablet. I bought my Kindle to do one thing and that was for books. I dunno…I just don’t want my mind to wander while reading. I like the immersion idea behind the Kindle.

    I have gone back to college to finish my degree so a tablet that was fully supported by text book publishers would change my mind tho.

    ReplyDelete